CORONAVIRUS UPDATE - 26th January 2021
In light of today’s Council of Ministers decision, our office will be closed until Thursday 11th February 2021. We will continue to monitor emails remotely during this time.
The full details of today’s Council of Ministers decision are as follows:
1. The country based entry and quarantine decisions which were implanted previously until 31st January 2021 will remain in force until a further decision is taken
2. Due to the increase in local cases in Girne and Lefkoşa, the following provisions, to be re-evaluated 02 February 2021, will apply;
• From 00.01 on 27th January 2021 until 23.59 on 10th February 2021 in Girne
• And from 00.01 on 27th January 2021 until 23.59 on 3rd February 2021 in Lefkoşa
All businesses other than those detailed below will be closed. The businesses to remain open are;
-chemists, petrol stations, bakeries, butchers, supermarkets and other businesses providing basic needs and their suppliers
-Restaurants (take away only)
-Production of fodder and barley, milk and dairy products
- Vehicle recovery, internet providers (urgent services)
- Private security companies
- Water producers and distributors
- Animal farming, agriculture, construction, food sectors and their suppliers
3. Entry and exit into and out of Girne and Lefkoşa will be prevented except for police, health, fire, civil aviation, printers, electric board, municipality and bank workers and the press. Senior staff at public offices may be called to work in order to avoid disruption to public services.
4. In Lefkoşa ve Girne there will be a daytime partial curfew. Between 05.00-20.00, people will only be permitted to leave their houses to go to the chemist, supermarket etc. The nighttime curfew previously implemented between 20.00-05.00 will be extended. The partial daytime curfew and nighttime full curfew will apply to all districts of the TRNC at weekends. Workers at organisations providing online education will be exempt from the curfew.
5. From 27 January 2021 until 10 February 2021 state and private schools, including private lessons and tutoring, will be closed for face to face lessons and will move onto online education. This does not apply to crèches and special needs education.
6. People living in the TRNC undergoing treatment in the South will be allowed to cross to the South for the day without having to quarantine with a PCR test carried out within the 3 days prior to crossing. Further PCR tests will be undertaken on 7th and 14th day from the patient’s return to the TRNC after the treatment has been completed
7. Those carrying out contactless trade in accordance with the Green Line Regulations can continue trading without being subject to quarantine
8. All crossing via the Yeşilırmak crossing except for crossings by ambulance for health reasons will be subject to quarantine
9. Those living and working in Pile will be permitted to cross the border without being subject to quarantine with a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours
10. UN, EU, British bases, Buffer Zone and Peace Force staff will be permitted to enter without quarantine with a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours
11. Only first degree relatives will be permitted to attend funerals
12. Team sports, training and competitions will be suspended until a further decision
13. Crossing of the border by those who live in the TRNC and work in the South will be subject to quarantine until a further decision
14. Crossing of the border by those who live in the South and work in the TRNC will be subject to quarantine until a further decision
15. People living in Beyarmudu carrying our animal farming and agriculture in the bases area will be permitted to cross the border for the day without being subject to quarantine in order to carry out their activities
16. Business opening ceremonies, weddings, cinema, theatre, birthdays, mass worship, engagements, remembrance prayers, exhibitions etc will be suspended until a further decision.
17. House visits will be prevented and people should take care to ensure that they do not meet with family members outside of their core family